Saturday, June 18, 2011

Ich Bin Ein Berlin

Even though I spent only three nights there, I think I am safe to say that Berlin is one of my favorite cities in the world.

Really.

It is a vibrant city that never really seems to take plays out, always getting up early, staying up late, and going all in for every minute in between. In a lot of ways, it reminds me of Portland, my favorite American city, except you can replace all examples of irony with sincerity.

What I am speaking of there is both are similarly hip places with the hipsters that go with that, but, unlike Portland, you never get the feeling that this Berlin is doing it for the Pantomime Theater. People ride bikes, they have facial hair, they wear disgustingly hip clothes, they are squatters, they are artists, they use mass transit, they embrace music, but none of those things because they feel like it is a role they need to play. Rather, it is simply because it is what they do and who they are, and effortlessly so.

Note: I love Portland. Don't get me wrong. But a lot of people in Portland try WAY too hard.

I love the way you can look at rooftops and see things like the "1UP" tag, indicating that it is part of the street art enclave "One Unified Power" and that what they are doing is CRAZY dangerous and that a 1UP from Super Mario Bros. would be really nice right about then.

I love that when you walk around, you can see half finished pieces of art on walls, satellite dishes adorned with family photos, and cafes with interiors and exteriors brightened with beautiful art. In Berlin, an artist's canvas is wherever they are and wherever they want.

I love that the people are incredibly friendly, that they perform (juggling, magic, etc.) for people in traffic, that they are seemingly welcoming of every culture, and that they each have their own dreams that they work tirelessly to accomplish.

Some people may walk the streets and see graffiti and illustrations all over the walls and think "man, this place makes Compton look clean" but to me, I see this as a place that people can go and be themselves and feel as if they are part of a society that is accepting of who and what you are.

It is a remarkable place. It is a huge place. It is a inexpensive yet poor place. It is a place of great history.

It is pretty freaking awesome, all in all, and a fantastic addition to my ever growing list of "European cities I would love to call home."

I'm only sad that I had just three days to call it that.

Music of the day: Dubstep, whatever you've got

No comments: