Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Where We're Going, We Don't Need Roads...Just Train Tracks

Some of you may be wondering where I am headed while in the European portion of my trip. To you I have this - I have been wondering the same thing! Oddly enough, I had no plans save a concert in late May in Barcelona and a concert in London at the end of June. Past that, I've got nothin'. Just a wing and a prayer...and a Eurail pass (that part is more important).

Well, I thought it out a bit now (given the amount of time I have had to think thanks to many, many train rides), so may I present the prospective itinerary of the Europeean portion of my trip. This is subject to much change and it is only what I have brewed up quickly in my head over the past few days.

- Barcelona for the next five days
- Granada
- Cadiz
- Madrid
- Lisbon
- Bilbao (hopefully just for the day to see the Guggenheim Museum and then a night train towards Italy)
- A few days in Tuscany with a moped
- Croatia (Dalmatian Coast!)
- Istanbul
- Train from Istanbul to Vienna to recreate the Before Sunset ride
- Prague
- Poland specifically for Auschwitz (what can I say, I like WWII and I am weird and morbid)
- Bavaria in Germany specifically for the Eagle's Nest (more WWII), Black Forest, and seeing my friend Katharina again
- Berlin
- Hamburg (guided tour of a area known for tons of prostitutes? yes please!)
- Back to Heidelberg (Kerstin!)
- Amsterdam
- Brugge/Bruges/Whatever the place Colin Farrell couldn't stand in Belgium
- Back to Paris for a day trip to Nantes
- Back to London for a concert
- Scotland/Ireland to close the trip

That may be way too much, to be perfectly honest. I am a freakishly efficient traveler, but with train travel mixed in it might be too much to work in. With that said, I think I can swing it but may end up cutting out part of my Spain section. I do not know a ton in Spain, and what I do know is that I really think the Guggenheim in Bilbao is spectacular and I know I cannot miss anything in Barcelona. The rest is passable in my mind. 

If I am going to add anywhere, it will likely be Capri down in Southern Italy, but that may be problematic - it is pretty far south so it will take me a couple days off my path and it will take me back to Rome which, to be honest, I have no interest in doing. So that is likely out, no matter how pretty it looks.

So there you have it! Feel free to give me any feedback or suggestions on places I should go, even if you haven't been there yourself and just think they look really pretty. I am open to anything and would love to hear from you all.

Music of the day: Back to the Future Theme

No comments: